Fort Independence was originally established in the early 1860s to provide protection to the first white settlers in the Owens Valley. The post was officially abandoned in 1877.
The original Camp Indenpendence consisted of caves built in a ravine before permanent structures were built.
The grave on the left is the final resting place of Curtis Bellows. Mr Bellows was a miner at the Ida Mine. Natives had recently dug up and used the lead of his water line for bullets. On March 3rd, 1863 Mr Bellows was attacked and killed by an arrow on his way to gather water at a nearby spring.
Or for more information about the Fort Independence cemetery and other Owens Valley cemeteries we highly recommend "Cemeteries of the Eastern Sierra" by Gena Philibert-Ortega.