Our trip to the Kentuck and Tiger mines started with several trips to the area, scoping out the roads and the surroundeding canyons. After we'd determined that the road up to these mines was in such bad condition that the jeep nor the atvs would make it we made our plans to hike up. It was an 8 mile hike with several very steep sections.
Most of the trail was along an old pack trail as seen in the photo above.
The first structure along the trail was the Tiger mine. At this site was one standing and one fallen cabin. Inside the cabin were two wire bedframes, a table, and a wall hutch. The cabin was filled with old tins and bottles as well as an old quilt and even an old tube of shaving cream.
When we finally arrived at the site of the Kentuck mine we first spotted this fallen cabin.
This cabin behind us in the photo above was in great shape. It felt as if the miners had just recently left. Inside were two large wooden bedframes, tables, long benches, a wood stove, workbenches, etc.
But our favorite thing at the cabin was the graffiti. Dating from the mid 1930s and written by the miners. The graffiti mentioned a 3' snowfall in July of 1938, it mentions a poor day at the mine in the early 1940's as well as the miners full names.
We were able to do some research and confirm by the 1930 cencus that Jack Glazier, who lists himself as the mine owner and manager, was 36 years old at the time he wrote on the cabin walls. His son William was 16. We learned that these two men has since passed on but their families still reside in the area.
The hike up to the Kentuck took us about four hours and only 2 hours back down. By the time we arrived back at camp we were more than ready for some hot food and a nice cozy sleeping bag!